Today, on day 2 of our seasonal change program we sat and did a candle gazing meditation.
The practice of Trataka, or candle gazing meditation, is a traditional yogic purification and a tantric method of meditation that involves focusing on a single object, black dot, or candle flame in order to purify oneself. Trataka is a Sanskrit word which means “to look” or “ to gaze”
There is the belief that it brings energy to the “third eye” and facilitates various abilities related to psychic abilities. The practice is said to aid in the purification of the mind, the thoughts and the senses. This practice can also be very helpful to combat grief.
It is a meditation technique which focuses on a single point/ object. The object can be a candle flame, but it can also be a picture of a loved one, a deity or guru, a flower, a fruit or a leaf or a black dot on a white paper. This is also why we create an altar, where we can have a point of focus.
Benefits of Trataka
Strengthens the muscles surrounding the eyes, which is good for eye health
A calming effect on the nervous system
An internal movement from the outer to the inner world
Concentration and memory are improved
It promotes sleep
How to practice
1. Put a candle at eye level in front of you and seat in an upright position
2. You should place the candle about 60 cm from your eye line, if possible.
3. With practice, you will be able to see the flame without blinking.
4. It is possible for the eyes to become tired and watery. Take a moment to rest and close your eyes if this happens.
5. After a few repetitions, move on to the internal Trataka
1. Close your eyes after practicing the above steps
2. Concentrate on the third eye (Ajna Chakra)
Please feel free to share this email and content with anyone that might be able to benefit from it.
They can also join us for the next five days (till September 21st)!
Here is the registration link:
You can catch up with Day 1